Sandhurst, Kent is close to the East Sussex border and the A268, which is the main road to London, runs through the village. The village is twinned with Heuringhem in Northern France. The village has a number of houses which still retain their original timber frames, some of which date back to the 15th century,
The church of St Nicholas is at Sandhurst Cross, about a mile from the village centre of today. A likely explanation for the inhabitants to have moved north was because the ridge road to Rye, (a Cinque Port), became more important.
The Sandhurst smock windmill, a well-known landmark, was built in 1844 and last worked in 1912. It had fallen into disrepair and suffered damage in the storm of 1987. The mill has now been rebuilt as house and provides wind-generated power.
The Church of St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh lies about a mile to the south of the village. It is sited on one of the only two areas in the parish to rise above 65 metres and commands fine … more
The local heritage Railway based in Robertsbridge located across the car park from Robertsbridge mainline station. RVR is in the process of reconstruction to link the mainline to the Kent & East Sussex Railway at Bodiam.
Located in the Sussex countryside 4 miles from the historic town of Rye, Flackley Ash is a delightful Grade II listed Georgian country house with an award-winning restaurant, a bar and spa facilities. The hotel’s spa features various treatment rooms. … more