Rye Foreign lies on the A268 and is about 3 miles (5-km) north-west of Rye. The parish encompasses the hamlets of Bowler’s Town and Springfield.
Rye Foreign got its name because Rye and Winchelsea were once subject to the Abbey of Fecamp in Normandy. Henry III felt that for the safety of the realm that this should change and signed a Charter of Resumption in 1247, which brought the ports back under the King’s control. However, an area outside Rye remained under the control of Abbey and this became known as Rye Foreign.
Lamb House was built in 1723 by James Lamb. Henry James leased the property and later purchased in 1899. It … more
We offer lessons in Windsurfing, Sailing, Kitesurfing and Paddleboarding for children and adults, and during the Summer holidays Children’s Activity … more
The hotel occupies what can be described as a prize winning location. Perched on the East Cliff, with panoramic views … more
15th century cottage opposite the medieval Landgate arch. Refurbished with to modern standard, retaining period features. Landgate Cottage has a … more
An attractive 16th Century Inn, situated amongst the old warehouses alongside the river estuary in the Ancient Cinque Port of … more
Originally dating from 1156, the Mermaid was rebuilt in 1420, much as it still stands today, as the principal Inn … more